Media.net

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Review of "Afraid to Believe in Free Will" By Carl E. Begley

I review books often, so I decided to read one that was on the opposite viewpoint of where I stand.  I believe in the will of humans and the ability to make choice, but I reject the idea of "Free Will", because I believe the human will is in bondage, we are slaves to either sin or Christ.  We are driven by our depravity or by the Holy Spirit and are not neutral and do not have the ability to choose in every situation.

That being said, I was hoping for a strong argument for the concept of Free Will.  I didn't get it, at all.  This book has some counselor and physiological mumbo jumbo, mostly which I understand.  None of it was convincing.  The author basically said, "you make choice, so you must have free will, now here is why everyone else is wrong".  He didn't make a case FOR Free Will, he made cases against those who opposed it.  I was not impressed with this book, don't waste your time.  If you want to read something on Free Will, find something with a stronger theological base.  This was just acrobatic babble.

No comments:

Post a Comment