Media.net

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Post Fast Reflections

I have been out of the Daniel Fast for a while, and my diet is mostly back to normal.  I have added a little more fruit, but the biggest difference is the amount of sugar I have continued to cut out of my diet.  It doesn't mean I don't succumb once in a while to the tasty treats, but I have decreased my overall sugar consumption.

On the spiritual side, I realized how I have to change my outlook.  When I started the fast, I noticed how I missed the things I couldn't have, especially caffeine.  My body told me that I went from 2 to 3 cups a day to 0.  Post-fast reflections, I realize how much I depend upon the approval of others, like a drug to my ego.  If someone is disappointed in me, if they don't approve, if I feel like I have let them down, it causes me a large deal of anguish.  Why?  Pride and ego mostly, but also because I need to learn to have more sufficiency in God.  I depend way to much on others to make me feel like I have worth or value, but I have value in God.  I put way too much emphasis on if the people at church approve of me.  that is not to say that I shouldn't strive to be the best at what I do, but at the end of the day, I am secure in God's love.

As I look back at the fast, I think it was a great experience.  I may do it again someday.  It didn't go as I had planned, it didn't have the effect I thought it would, but I am learning more about myself.  I am seeing my frailty for what it really is, and seeing the areas where I need to continue to work.  I hope on your journey with God, you are finding new revelations about yourself as you draw nearer to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment