Media.net

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Purpose of Theological study

So I was reading some blogs, looking at some things from my immediate elders (those in the 45 to 60 age range) and some from my contemporaries (25-45) I noticed a sharp contrast. Those who are the older men, in ministry pre-retired look at theology as a weapon. They study to sharpen their swords, to grind the axe to sharp, to fill their quiver with arrows in order to defeat the onslaught. Theology for that generation is public, to be shared and debated. You fall into one of the camps, you are here or there. Many of this group (most of them are Trailing Edge Baby Boomers, or TREBS, born between 56 and 64) have become frustrated and turned off to theological thought or study.

Those of us who are Busters, 1965-1981 (65-76 is the X-ers, which I am a part) have a more individual mindset than the Boomers (for the most part, I know these are broad generalization). This has changed the way we see the world, and why Trebs and X-ers have so much conflict. Theology is very different for me, it's not a weapon, it's a shield. While those in the older generations wield theology to vanquish a foe, I use theology to extinguish arrows from those who would hold a view that is not compatible. There are many in my convention who would to beliefs that I don't agree with. There are many Landmarkests in my denomination. There are many non-Calvinists in my denomination. There are those who do not champion the Sovereignty of God like I believe the Bible does.

For those of you who have turned from Theology because you are tired of the attacks, I apologize to you for the part I played. Let me urge you to learn and study and wrestle. Biblical truth requires us to study and to learn. To understand God is outside the confines of the sinful mind to comprehend. We have to learn to think different, to see different, and that takes struggle. Wrestle with your own flesh to try to reconcile all the truths in the scripture, not just those verses you are comfortable with. Reconcile Romans, Hebrews, James and 1 Peter together in one view of God, salvation, Christ and eternity. It won't be as simple as you'd like, but your faith will emerge so much deeper.

1 comment:

  1. Preach it, dude! I can recall people in the church of my childhood saying they didn't want theology, they just wanted to love Jesus. For those out there who still hold to this declaration, how can you love someone (Jesus) whom you do not want to know (theology-study of God)? I've learned more in the last 9 years in AZ than I did in the 12 years I was in that church in Sunday School.

    ReplyDelete