Media.net

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Navigating Stress and Anxiety

 If you say you don't have stress or anxiety, chances are you are lying. You are lying to me or to yourself. You might have very low levels, and for that I envy you. I know when I was in High School, I had very little stress. Now that I am in my mid-40s, I have an abundance. There are times when it is worse than others, like this week. I had an unfortunate incident with an angry driver on Sunday, we have had vehicles issues this week, and then the normal stress of life that doesn't stop. Stress happens to all of us.

If you are stressed out, first know a couple of truths. First, know it won't last forever. Whatever is stressing you out will be over. It may be replaced by new stress, but you will have grown from dealing with the last stress. Every new trial brings us new skills and mechanisms to cope, so we are better equipped to handle the next one. Remember the stuff that caused you stress and anxiety when you were younger? In elementary school, middle school, high school, college, or when you were a young adult? Looking back at the worst things from your younger self probably doesn't seem like it was a big deal. It was a big deal then, but you learned how to cope. Now those same stresses are not as big of an issue. Every hard time helps you deal with the next hard thing better.

Second, know that you are not alone. People care about you and will support you. Everyone has a support network. You have family and friends, and I hope a church. You can pray when you are alone and God is there for you. You are not alone, there is support. If you feel so overwhelmed that you don't know where to turn, reach out to a health care professional. I recommend you start with your doctor. Find some help, there is no shame in it. We all need help once in a while. I need it all the time.

Finally, know that you have control. It may seem like your anxiety is driving your life, but don't let it. Tell yourself that you are in the driver's seat. Take your thoughts captive. Tell yourself to stop thinking about the things that are trapping you in the prison of anxiety. Find things that make you feel better. Find a way to release the pent-up energy. Find ways to rest and relax. You can't control everything, but you can control yourself. Take control of what you can control and know that you are strong enough to get through this. Focus, pour your energy in the right direction. Maybe even write a blog. It might help. It helped me today, so thanks for listening,

No comments:

Post a Comment