Media.net

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Back Surgery Part 2

Well I have been scheduled for another back surgery. In case you haven't been caught up, here is the deal. In September I began to have pain in my left leg. The pain and pain grew so by the end of October, I could barely walk, couldn't sit and couldn't really drive, or function to be honest. My doctor did an MRI and said I had a massive bulge in my l5 disc. They did a micro discectomy to remove the bulge and the pressure it was putting on the nerve roots. It worked, the pain was gone for about a week.

Then it came back. The way my doctor explained it that removing the big bulge created a big cavity and the disc just bulged right back to where it was, path of least resistance and all. It's right back on the nerve root and the pain is right back in my hamstring. Had another MRI and looked at things with the doc. We have a surgery now scheduled to take care of the issue.

Since there isn't much disc material left, and there is pain beginning to develop in my back, the next step is a fusion. I am not excited about getting my vertebrae fused together, but it seems to be the best option with what I'm dealing with. They will separate the discs and put some bone in the space, but a steel mesh around it and close it up. The bone then all fuses together and instead of two vertebrae, there is only one bigger one.

The surgery is on Jan 23rd, so if you wouldn't mind saying a prayer for me and my family. I'll be in the hospital a few days with a drain in my back. It will be an interesting experience to say the least. Here we go with round two. Last time I had a repeat surgery it didn't turn out so well, so here is hoping for a better experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment